Wish you could get more stuff fixed in NYC? Repairing is so important, it deserves to be the 4th R. But how to find repair shops in New York? A product with a lifetime warranty? Good News: We have more repair options than you think. Read on to learn more, as well as pick up some tips for the other 3 Rs: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
1. Order coffee ‘to stay’. Patronize take-out restaurants that offer washables — and reduce all that plastic and aluminum container waste.
3. Take a second look at secondhand — oftentimes it’s better than new! Find local NYC thrift and vintage shops at DonateNYC. Buy refurbished electronics at the Lower East Side Ecology Center’s E-waste Warehouse in Gowanus, Brooklyn. Find treasures at flea markets located all over NYC.
4. Find out if your building is eligible for in-building collection of clothing and textiles, electronics and organics (food scraps, yard waste, food-soiled paper). If not, drop off clothing and organics at local greenmarkets. Drop off electronics at various collection sites around NYC or return them to manufacturers.
5. Learn how to recycle cell phones, home improvement waste, appliances, and ink and toner cartridges in NYC. Learn which plastics CAN’T go into the recycle bin. Bring plastic bags and other film waste back to retailers.
7. Host your own NYC repair cafe in your school, senior center, temple or church.
Want more? Click the icon below for all 60 tips!
Posting Guidelines – This and other stories published on WeHateToWaste.com are intended to prompt positive conversations about practical solutions for preventing waste. Opinions expressed are solely those of the contributors, and WeHateToWaste implies no endorsement of the products or organizations mentioned.